Wednesday, August 1, 2012

CAREGiver of the Month: August


Our CAREGiver of the Month for August is Sandra! Sandra shows all her clients compassion and truly shares her heart. Her kindness is evident to all the individuals she has worked with.

What was your favorite moment with a client?
Conversations with my clients are amongst my favorite moments. I enjoy learning from them, listening to them, hearing about their past, their accomplishments and their dreams. Simply being a good listener, being empathetic and really caring about the client often give me the biggest smiles. Those moments are very special.

One moment in particular was the first day I worked with a client who had a BiPAP machine. It was my first day and I was nervous about working with the equipment for the first time. When it came time to work with the BiPAP mask my client encourage me with gentle words, telling me that I could do it and that nothing would go wrong. He made me comfortable and said that if I could master that mask, I could do anything. He gave me one of his smiles, we laughed and I did it.

Why did you decide to become a caregiver?
I decide to be a caregiver because I took care of my mother, who had Parkinson’s disease, when I was very young girl until her death. She was my inspiration to be a caregiver.

What advice would you give to a new caregiver?
You must keep an open mind, be adaptable and be reliable. You need a big heart and a big smile every day.

Read and study information about the client’s needs, their disease or disability and inquire about things you might have in common. Use your training and your education and always keep learning.

Thank you Sandra for all your hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment